Group Skiing Guide
• Large group meeting in main lodge: Rules & Responsibilities, lift ticket
• Rental Process– students will be called in groups of 10 (pods), NO ski poles
• On Snow – students’ ski ability will be evaluated & lesson time. (Lessons end at noon)
• Break for Lunch
• Students who haven’t progressed enough to safely ski down the chairlift runs must remain in our learning area.
• Free ski
• Dress for the weather by layering your clothes.
• Winter Coat, snow pants, mitts/gloves, neck warmer are necessary.
• Helmets are a must and are included with the rental! Leave those warm hats at home!
• Long, thick socks (no ankle socks) and only one pair are needed.
• Sweat pants are much more comfortable than jeans!
Chaperones: A great way for parents to spend the day helping students & teachers! We require 1 skiing chaperone for every 15 students. Please remind chaperones that we need them to be actively helping keep kids safe by following the rules. One inside Coordinator must be assigned.
Terrain Based Learning (TBL): We use purpose-built snow features to help assist students by naturally controlling their speed when first learning to ski. This makes students more successful, removes the fear of falling and focuses on the FUN of skiing.
Why we offer only ski lessons for school groups: In our experience, the learning curve is pretty fast for skiers. Because both feet can move independently less skill is needed to stay balanced and upright. Snowboarding requires more core strength, balance, and fine motor skills. Falls tend to be harder (face or butt) with snowboarding. Most beginners can learn to ski in control and make turns in a short amount of time. This increases the FUN and success rate of our learners!
Food: We offer a $5.75 meal deal (must sign up prior for this offer). Additional food, snacks, and beverages can be purchased in our café. Outside food is not allowed in the lodge. Meal Discounts are available.
We want everyone to have FUN and be safe while enjoying Detroit Mountain!
Rule Reminders: Scheels Terrain Park and the WEST side of the mountain are CLOSED to all students and chaperones until Noon. Chairlift safety bar should be used at all times. Follow the Skiers Responsibility Code (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ5BNfs2bsQ)
Group Request Form
Reminders for group
– No Outside food or beverage allowed
– Must have 20+ to get group pricing
– Groups must pay as one, no individual payments
– Rentals are not guaranteed, they are a first come, first serve basis.